Saturday, January 14, 2012

You may be a reference librarian if...

...if you've ever had a "discussion" with a patron about the temperature.

"The cashier at the shop next door told me it had gotten up to -8 degrees!"

My internal monologue: There's no way it's that cold out. It was only supposed to get down into the single digits overnight, and the news this morning wasn't gushing about freakish coldness.

So, being a now-curious information professional, I clicked my handy link to the weather page.

"I don't know where the cashier got the number, but it's +9 degrees now. No, actually, that update is an hour old."

"Oh, maybe it got colder since then."

Internal monologue again: Yes, I'm sure that's it. The temperature dropped 17 degrees in 54 minutes, and the authority for that information is a cashier at a bakery and not the National Weather Service...

Either way, it's pretty danged chilly. Even in celsius.

1 comment:

  1. -7 tonight and you wonder why I only visit in the summer...

    ReplyDelete