Sunday, October 24, 2010

Short, quiet Saturday

A quiet day. It was gorgeous out, so I think most people were enjoying the weather. Only had four reference calls all day, and only a couple of questions for finding books. Spent half an hour talking with a regular about his current project, and somehow we got to discussing travel. Found out he's been to every county in the United States! Other than that, only really had two real standout moments during the day.

A regular caller in a nearby town (we all recognize her voice) called in a panic, "Help me identify these bugs in my kitchen! They're red, and they have...how many legs do they have, honey?" "Six!" "They have six legs! What are they?" I referred her to the local college's agriculture and entomology department.

The other was when a man with spiky hair and a freshly knocked out tooth wanted to use a computer. I got him started, and went back to the desk. After a while, I was aware that the printer tied to the public computers was printing...and printing...and printing...and printing. He came over and asked if it was his document. We figured out it was, and the printer stopped. Except it didn't stop, it was only pausing, regrouping before it spit out still more. 160 pages in total! We charge $0.10/per page, so that was $16.00...and, of course, he said he didn't have his wallet. He offered to give us his bank account number, so I explained that that wouldn't do us any good. He asked we'd accept a pre-paid phone card. Uh, no. So, he left his name, and I put the document in a folder. If he does come back on Monday like he said he will, he can pay then and take it home. I think he was surprised at how big the document was, but the whole thing was a little surreal. I give it less than 50/50 odds he'll be back.


~~~~~
Nose Picking: 3 (unchanged)
Boarding Passes: 5 (unchanged)
Toilet Clanks: +2, total of 5. And a full on flush!

No comments:

Post a Comment