Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Two firsts!

Only filled in for an hour on reference today during someone's lunch break, but, as usual, it was pretty interesting.

I got my first stumper: How long can an email be? Not how big an attachment, but how much text can be put into an email before the email service can't handle it. Stumped me. Kept getting different answers, then realizing that the number was related to attachment size. Passed it along to the librarian I was relieving.

And I had my first angry customer, lucky me. I'd heard her all the way across the library, talking loudly to someone at the circulation counter. The word, "Hold" kept wafting across the library. She appeared at the reference desk a couple of minutes later, and asked how a book can go from, "Being available in one day to having a thirty day wait, just like that!"

I looked up the book, and saw that it's on loan, not due for 9 days, and that there are two people with holds. My unhappy customer was the second. I'm only vaguely familiar with the hold portion of the software, so I wasn't able to figure out when each hold had been placed...but that probably wouldn't have changed anything.

She wanted to know if the book would be returned promptly on the due date (as if I had any control of that?). I told her that I'd been looking at overdue bills earlier, and had found someone with $115.00 in fines. (BTW, how the HECK is that even possible?)

Well, that set her off, and she had a full head of steam going. She essentially proceeded to tell me that that people now-a-days had no consideration for others, the younger generation has no respect, etc. I really wonder how old she thought I was--I'd pegged her as 30 years my senior.

Anyway, she was miffed, and was going to stay miffed until someone handed her a copy of the book she wanted, and did so NOW. Ironic bit? The book she wanted was titled, "The Happiness Project." www.happiness-project.com

SRSLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment